The town began to build at the end of the sixteenth century. Kuliai built the first church in 1644. When in 1898 arrival Juozas Tumas - Vaižgantas, Kuliai became the book carriers operating center. Here also grew and learned writer Sofia Kymantaitė - Čiurlioniene.
Now in the center stands St. Stanislaus Church, built duke M. Oginski and parishioners. Church's interior is rich in valuable works of sacred art. Some of them are retained from the previous churches. Since ancient times Kuliai famous saint Virgin Mary feast.