The present Pakutuvėnai church was built in 1941-1943 with the initiative of the Plungė Pastor, Prelate Povilas Pukis. In 1941 a church plan was drawn up by a Kretinga County engineer J. Zubkus. The Commandant Office of Plungė appointed 600 bags of cement to use for the church floors, and the burgomaster of Plungė Edvardas Misevičius, at the request of the pastor, donated 1,200 bags of Russian-made cement and 27 iron beams to the church. The logs were bought, the gravel from the river Minija brought. The Latvian master Edward Burkhan was hired, who at that time was setting up a sister nun hospital in Švėkšna. According to Pakuotuvėnai Church plan, the length of the church is 24 m and the width is 12 m.
During the building process, the worship took place in the rectory room. Priest Povilas Pukys praised in Plungė, and took care of the Pakutuvėnai church. As the rectory room of Pakutuvėnai was too small for the masses, there was concern on the temporary premises for the liturgy.
During the interwar period, at the end of the churchyard of Plungė Church, on the gateway to Kretinga Street, there was a wooden house in which the church's inventory was stacked (Pakalniškis A. Plungė, Chikago, Illinois, 1980, p. 141). After the construction of the Plungė Church was completed, it created space for all stuff. The house became unnecessary. Plungė's parish committee gave it to Paktuvėnai as a chapel. It was transported to Pakutuvėnai Cemetery and left there. The priest Povilas Pukys, authorized by the Bishop of Telšiai, has consecrated the chapel, which immediately became a place for masses sacrificed by the local pastor.
On September 26, 1943 J. E. Telšiai Bishop Vincentas Borisevicius solemnly consecrated the new church.
The church has classic features, a rectangular plan, a tower and a turret. Originally, 3 altars were installed, but now only one is left.
Now the church is supervised by the Franciscan brothers.