Alsėdžiai in historical sources was first mentioned in 1253. From ancient times, is survived triangular mound on which was later built the famous Samogitian bishops residence. Now this mound is called Žvėrinyčia. Alsėdžiai for Samogitian Bishops belonged from 1421 until 1850.
Alsėdžiai town center stands the old church - interesting architectural monument which was built in 1793 from pine and firry logs and interesting in its primitive forms.